West Down

Welcome to St. Calixtus Church West Down

The Church contains a large amount of 14thcentury work and is of more than usual interest.

The plan is cruciform which is typical for churches of this age. The structure is substantially 14th century in origin - with later modifications.

The list of past serving vicars dates back to 1272 and the registers - now in the North Devon Records Office in Barnstaple - date back to 1583

The font, made of stone, was found under the floor during a restoration and is undoubtedly Norman.

A tablet on the outside of the south chancel wall states that it was rebuilt in 1675. It bears the names of John Berry, Oliver Peard, John Roberts, John Penrose and Robert Penrose.