Our History

St George’s Church, Georgeham

The earliest record is 1231, then 1261 as Ham St George. Thirteenth century remains include a knight effigy, font and crucifixion scene.  The tower is fourteenth century as are a piscina and quatrefoil window. Most arches are fifteenth century. In 1762 radical Romanesque style changes were made. Major restorations in 1876 altered most windows, enlarged the vestry and installed a new font, pulpit and the current seating.  The organ was installed in 1881. There is a fine peal of eight bells the oldest dated 1748. Services are held every Sunday morning and some evenings. Our church has strong links with St George’s House Christian outdoor centre, located in the adjacent former rectory, the village school and other local churches to maximise our mission for greater outreach into the community. 

A full history of St George’s may be found at http://genuki.cs.ncl.ac.uk/DEV/Georgeham/GeorgehamChurch.html

 

St Mary Magdalene Church, Croyde

The church was opened on 22nd July 1874.  It was intended as a “Mission Church” to assist those parishioners unable to travel comfortably to the parish church in Georgeham.  

From the beginning it was designed as a multi-purpose building part being used as an infant school, a Sunday school and a night school during winter months.  Even then Croyde was a popular seaside resort and the church was seen as providing a valuable facility for visitors.  

In 2001 the pews were replaced with chairs, carpeting laid and other furniture renewed to enable the building to be used for additional purposes as well as regular Sunday services.                                                                                                                          
It has housed summer exhibitions, courses, church retreats and parish meetings. A new bell was donated and hung in 2002.